Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Monday, July 11, 2005 Horny Toads and Fire Flies


Jacksonville, Texas
When I was around six years old, we lived in Ft. Worth, Texas. I can remember catching horny toads and fire flies (yes I am and always will be a tom boy). I haven’t seen either for a few lifetimes now, and have been a little saddened at the thought of them being extinct.

While the boys were gone, my sister and I took a trip to Lake Jacksonville where we would sit out on the porch and stare at the lake if we weren’t in it. Great time for reflex ion, and the plotting of world salvation or domination (which ever type of mood you should be in at the time). I expressed how sad I was when I thought of the simple time in my life, not so much because it was over, but how we are depleting every thing around us (I step off of the soap box now). She told me how her grandson catches horny toads that they still do exist (at least in Arizona). We then started talking about the horrible things we did with fire flies. We would capture them in jars to make lanterns, we would tear off the glowy part and put them on our fingers as if they were glowing rings, and if you rub the liquid from the glowy part on your arm you would glow too (geez we were so mean as kids).

One evening, we are sitting there on the porch, and my sister yells out “LOOK…did you see them?...FIRE FLIES!” OMG, there they were flying around and lightening up the area….whew, faith restored! (BTW, we didn’t mutilate them like when we were kids)

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 7:56 AM :: 4 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------