Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Tuesday, July 26, 2005 We’re Having a Heat Wave!


Yes many of us in the country are having a heat wave. Here in Houston we also have the wonderful humidity to go along with it. My rant today is the cost of the heat wave. My husband and I are remodeling our house, and next on the list was to change out the siding, the rest of the windows and get a new roof. After we received our first $500.00 light bill (in a 1750 sq. ft. home), we decided that we have to address the a/c and get a new one. Granted, the unit inside is original to the house and I know it has to be replaced (the house is over 30 years old).

I had one company come out and we will get the estimate today, but the way he was talking, it is going to be in the range of $8000.00. WTF? If we had a two-story, large house I might be able to swallow this one but geez….$8000.00. I don’t know if I’m just “cheap” or if my shell shock is justified. So today it’s back on the phone for more estimates. I am floored by this cost because it isn’t like an a/c unit down here is a luxury, it is a necessity. What the hell do people do if they can’t afford to pay for this? I know that had this happened during the “early marriage” years, we just would have been SOL! I am so frustrated.

Then last night my Sister called from Prescott, AZ (laughing) just to tell me that the temp there was 72, and she had to cut off her a/c. I told her that I loved her.....BUT.....FU!

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 7:17 AM :: 4 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------