Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 What The Fluck?

I think sometime the hardest part of blogging is coming up with catchy titles! The stress of it-Ugh!

Today's post is nothing catchy. This is a reflective post. Last night I started to empty one of the last few boxes left from the move. It was my desk stuff. I debated between throwing all of the stuff into the file cart I bought, or actually looking through everything, getting rid of the crap, and organizing the rest.

It's funny to look through things and think "why on earth did I think it would be important to keep this?" It was also interesting to see the transition my life has made through the years. Eight years ago we not only moved into a new house, we started a new phase of our life as husband and wife. We both brought children to the marriage. My youngest had just started kindergarten. He is now in 8th grade! That means high school for him is just around the bend as well as college for my oldest! Yikes!

It was interesting to me to see just how high strung and, well, anal I was at the beginning and how I obviously "softened" and how my focus changed along the way. Anal you say? Yes. So anal that I kept not only the manual that came with my $9.99 calculator; but I also kept the receipt! And, I filed it - alphabetically! These days, the first thing I would do would be to trash the manual, then the receipt would soon follow! I use my debit card for basically all purchases. It's much easier to return stuff now. Take Target for instance. You don't have the receipt-no problem! Give them the card you used to purchase your item and they can pull up your entire transaction - a month later! Oh, and the filing part - yeah, I have a "filing pile". Everyone knows to look in that pile for anything that may be important. Usually about twice a year I go through that pile, throw half the crap away, and put the rest back into the pile - you know, to be filed! Someday I really will file - I promise!

All of this brings me to the real reason of my post. Why have I changed? Is it the wisdom that comes with age and life experiences? Is it motherhood? Is it because of major life changing events such as 9/11 which made me change my perspective? Is it because of my busy schedule? Is it a combination?

Whatever it is, I can honestly say that I like the me I am now. I'm definitely not as high strong. I think I'm prioritizing better. I think that I'm a better mother, wife and friend than I was eight years ago! The best part-I know that I don't know everything and I will learn a lot more along the way! I'm looking forward to that. Now, if only I could have the wisdom I have now and the body I had 18 years ago.............

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 8:27 AM :: 5 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------