Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Saturday, July 30, 2005 Baseball as America - Grand Slam Summer

We had a great time today at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. We went to see the exhibit “Baseball as America” Baseball’s Hall of Fame showing at the Museum until mid August. But the treat had to be for my son. He is a huge sports fan and wants to be a sports broadcaster when he is an adult. We arrived there around 10:30 in the morning and saw a flyer for a show featuring Larry Dierker, Milo Hamilton and Richard Justice as guests to join in a “lively discussion” on Announcers and the Game they love with Curt Smith.

It was quite entertaining and yes as advertised “lively”, of course I was thinking to myself “My kid is in absolute heaven”. After their discussion they opened it up for questions from the audience and before I could turn around and to see if my son was interested, he was out of his seat and headed toward the microphone. He asked them for tips and advice to go into broadcasting and he got some very good advice.

Curt Smith wrote “Voices of Summer” and Larry Dierker wrote “This Ain't Brain Surgery: How to Win the Pennant without loosing your Mind” so after the show they had a book signing (my son was walking about five feet off the ground). He stood in line and when he got up to have his books signed, both Smith and Dierker remembered him and continued talking to him about broadcasting; posed for pictures; called my husband in for a picture (Larry Dierker was my husband’s hero when he was growing up). What a day! What a special time for my son! And best of all, the way he handled himself gave me a memorable “Proud Mama Moment”.
.


Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 7:43 PM :: 2 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------