Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Sunday, August 07, 2005 How To Embarrass Your Teenage Daughter

As a parent of teenagers, I'm informed almost daily that I've done or said some horrible thing to embarrass my children. What happened yesterday put the proverbial icing on the cake of embarrassment.

Yesterday was my daughter's 15th birthday. It was also tax free shopping day in Houston. My daughter and I went to the mall to get her some shoes for school. She finds a pair at this store that is definitely a "teenager" type of store. In other words, I'm not allowed to say "isn't this cute" or bob my head to the music that is blaring through the speakers. All of the employees are half my age and have the need to hoot and holler to "pump up the mood". OK, now that you have a general idea of the environment, I'll get to the good stuff. She finds a pair that she just has to have. She asks for her size. Guy comes out and tells her he can't find that shoe in any size! He goes to the display, finds that the size on display is just the one she needs (oh goody-I was hoping he wouldn't be able to find the $75 pair of shoes). She tries it on and it was love at first, hmmm, I guess love at first step. Me being the money conscious person that I am suggests the possibility of a discount since it was a "display model" and had lots of hands all over it. He looked at me and said, "ah, no!" So then I said, "It is her birthday today. Do you have a birthday discount?" He says, "ah, no. But we have something better!" Before I could comprehend what was going on, he yells "Hey, everybody, we have a birthday in the house! It's her 15th birthday!" Suddenly, employees (all male teenagers) come from everywhere, surround her, make her stand on a chair, and sing happy birthday! She was so embarrassed.

Lucky for me, she REALLY wanted those shoes and decided that it would be in her best interest not to bop me over the head!

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 10:53 AM :: 2 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------