Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Friday, November 11, 2005 Happy Veterans Day!

In Honor of Gerald
Gerald was my Father-in-law. A man that not only did I have the pleasure to meet, but who welcomed me with open arms into his family. He was strict but he was fair, he never showed much emotion but in his smile you found comfort and wisdom. He was a Marine, a member of the 5th Marine Division and you know what they say…Once a Marine…Always a Marine.

While most of us in our youth worry about trivial things, Gerald turned 19, and became a man on Iwo Jima. He never talked about those days too much until his later years. Some things he couldn’t talk about, some things I’m sure he wouldn’t talk about. I learned that he was MIA for a few hours when a shell left him unconscious.

I think God ever day for this man. Against the odds he survived and came home. I thank him for his son whom I love with all my heart. I see in my own son many traits of Gerald and am proud when I look at him and remember his Grandfather. I miss him terribly and wish he was with us today, but I am thankful that he was a part of my life, my family.



Semper Fi!

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 4:34 AM :: 8 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------