Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 Happy Valentine's Day

You guys are going to love this story. If you ever wondered if the "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" theory is true, based on this story, we may have an answer.

My 15 year old daughter J has her first "boyfriend" named C. C is very nice. Neither of them drive, so they depend on me and C's mom to get them where they want to go. Neither of them work, so most of their adventures involve hanging out at one place or another. Hence, C has eaten dinner at our house, oh, just about everyday. He's a nice kid.

J asks me to take her to Target so that she can get C a gift, and, oh yeah, she needs a gift for her "little soccer sister" (long story), and, well, K said she got her a little something so she wants to get K a little something. So I take her. Apparently every other person in our zip code went to Target for the very same reason. Madhouse! Not..enough..coffee....!

J is getting very frustrated because there were slim pic-kens to say the least. We finally get to the card section (with everyone else). After 15 minutes, I told her I was going to go look for something. I was gone maybe 5-10 minutes. When I get back to the card section, there is J, sitting on the floor, head in hands, and a sea of cards around her! (Too bad I forgot that I had the camera in my purse. This was so picture worthy)!

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"All of these cards are just stupid! They are to girly, or too mushy, or.....they use the "L" word!"

"Oh. So you're not using the "L" word yet?"

"NO!!!!!"

"OK. Do you want me to help?"

"No!!!! You just don't understand!"

What does a mother do? I pretended to be looking for cards for no one in particular. Came across a few that were cute but didn't use the "L" word. Asked her to look at this one card (for no one in particular). She laughed. I told her it was too bad it was the last one. I was going to have to buy it. She begged me to let her to buy it for C as it was perfect! (Who'd a thunk it? Mom found the perfect card?!?)

She was a little flabbergasted when she had to pay for her treasures. On the way home, we pass a Walgreens. She asked if we could stop in there just to "look". What do ya know? Walgreens had more loot than Target. The prices were more "teenage" friendly. She ended up getting something else for K and her soccer sister that was cheaper. She's taking the Target stuff back for a refund (that my girl)!

After spending quite sometime wrapping, signing, and whatever else she was stressing about, we then had to get all of this stuff into the car this morning along with the soccer bag, books, and whatever else this child lugs around.

If I haven't lost you yet, good. Cause here comes the guy vs. girl part. I ask my son G if he got his girlfriend something. He said, "yeah. They were selling bears at school so I gave her $2 and told her to go buy herself one!" That's it. No card. No wrapping. Nothing!

Ugh!

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 1:19 PM :: 7 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------