Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Sunday, February 12, 2006 Happy Birthday Baby Boy!

Wow. Seventeen years already. It seems like yesterday. I am so proud of you. I know there's been a lot that has happened in you life over the last seventeen years. Some things you won't understand until your a father yourself. There have been good times and some not so good times. But like I have always said, God made you my first for a reason.

I was nineteen years old when I was pregnant with you. I thought I knew all there was to know about being an adult AND a mother. Then one day, I went to the doctor for my ultrasound. That's when it hit me. I was going to be responsible for this life growing inside me. I saw your little heart beating on the monitor. It was now real. I fell in love with you. A love so intense that I can't find words to describe it. While you were in my tummy, I used to explain to you how scared I was, but confident that my love for you would bring us through anything.

Then, on a Sunday, 17 years ago, after a very long and tough labor (your heart stopped beating several times), you were born. They wouldn't let me see you until they did some tests to make sure you were OK. I knew you were OK. You were yelling at the top of your lungs. I laid in bed crying tears of joy. Crying knowing that I was the one you needed. Crying knowing that to hear you cry was a good thing.

We brought you home on Valentines Day. That was an important day for me as that would have been my mom and dad's 25th wedding anniversary had she not lost her life to cancer. In a way, I felt her with me, calming my fears and sharing in my joy as only a mom and daughter understand. To me it was her way of saying, "Everything is going to be OK."

We made it through your first fever. You see, I thought I needed to keep you wrapped up and hold you close to make you stop shivering. I thought the doctor was an incompetent lunatic when he told me to unwrap you and put you in a cool tub. I did it under protest crying as you screamed your little 4 month old lungs out. Low and behold, it worked. Your fever broke, you fell asleep, and I stayed awake the rest of the night watching you just to make sure you were OK. We took you to the doctor the next morning. I'm so glad he knew how frantic I was and took more time calming and reassuring me when I argued with him. He told me all you needed was some antibiotics for your ear infection and that you'd be better in 24 hours. Well, he was right.

There have been so many other things happen through out the years. All of them "firsts". I feel that YOU have prepared me for life much more than I have prepared you. Your brother and sister should be forever in your debt for "breaking me in" and preparing me for teenagers!

Son, this is your last year before you become an adult. The only advice that I can give you is, work hard, play hard, pray hard and love with your whole heart. Never forget the little guy. Always thank the Big Guy.

You are very special young man. I know this because just the other day when I met you history teacher, she told me what a sweet, kind hearted, warm and tender person you are. I wanted to tell her that I knew that, but it was nice to hear it from someone else.

Happy 17th Birthday Baby!


Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 10:39 AM :: 6 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------