Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Tuesday, April 18, 2006 Breakfast Pizza Recipe

About the recipe, OK, I'll post it, but be warned, my brain is spinning and I am in a rambling kind of mood. If at any point you get totally confused, I apologize.

Breakfast Pizza-Sheri Style (quick & easy ladies)

My kids like the crust. So I use a cookie sheet (I bet this is also known as a jelly roll pan. My mother who owned a restaurant and catering business is turning in her grave). I bet one of those cooking stones would work well.

Remember, this is what I did for my kids that don't like anything except fast food.

1) heat oven to 375

2) Line cookie sheet with non-stick foil

3) Spread refrigerated croissant dough making as thin or thick as you like. I "crimped" the edges to form a lip. I should have taken a picture. In other words, since my kids like the crust, I didn't spread the crust to the edge so it was kind of thicker.

4) Cut up as much ham as your family desires. I used about a cup. Nothing fancy. Sandwich meat works great. Spread over dough. (sausage or bacon works well)

5) Beat 5 eggs. Add 1/4 cup milk (I used less-my kids don't like runny eggs and, the more milk, the longer it takes to cook. I also added about 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper (improvise baby)

6) Pour egg mixture over the dough/ham stuff. I didn't go all the way to the edge as I have caught a pizza like this on fire when the egg stuff started running. Don't ask.

7) Sprinkle about 1 cup of shredded cheese over egg mixture. I used cheddar as that's what my kids prefer.

8) Bake at 375 for about 25 mins.

OK-here's some variations. This is how you can tell that I probably can cook, but I pretend that I can't. When you grow up with a chef, you use a recipe as a guide then get creative and adjust accordingly. My mom taught us to cook with our senses. We know when something is mixed to the proper consistency by feel and how it looks. We can usually tell something is done by how it looks and smells. We smell and taste to determine if something needs to be tweaked. And we listen for....Oh yeah, the smoke detectors (no, really...I catch things on fire....often!)

For more of a casserole type dish:

Spread dough in 9 x 13 pan (make sure to go slightly up the sides)
Spread 1 cup frozen hash browns over dough (Probably thaw first)
Sprinkle cooked sausage (about 1 pd) over hash browns
Add the 5 beaten eggs with the milk and seasonings as stated above
Then the cheese

This may take a little longer to bake. It will be more like a casserole. I'd check at 25 mins.

And another take:

If I were to make this for adults, this is what I would do.

Spread dough in 9 x 13 pan
Spread dough with a light coating of Dijon mustard (Must be Dijon, not regular)
Saute some onions and mushrooms (the amount depends on your liking. Since this is for breakfast, less is best as far as the onions)
spread over dough
Then the ham (ham works best with the onions and mushrooms. Bacon would also work well)
Then the egg/milk/seasonings (If your adventuous a little paprika or ugh, I can't think of the other spice but I think it's nutmeg makes for an interesting flavor. Just a dab will do ya. The nutmeg really works well if you add spinach-which I wouldn't because spinach in the morning makes me want to barf. Me, I'd stick with the salt & pepper)
Add cheese (for this, I would use probably 1/2 cup SHARP WHITE cheddar (very different flavor from the yellow cheddar) and 1/2 cup Swiss) Again, this is where you must see it to decide how much of each type of cheese would work best. Oh yeah, if you use sausage instead of ham, don't use the Swiss, sharp cheddar or Dijon mustard-yuck! With sausage, the mild shredded cheddar works best.

Bake at 375 for about 25 mins. My guess would be 30 mins.

Good luck!

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 10:05 PM :: 5 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------