Monday, August 08, 2005
Scientific Reason Men Don’t Listen to Women
The Today Show had a segment on why men have trouble listening to women. I had read simular information this past weekend in an article titled "Male brains 'not wired' to listen to women". The article seemed to support the information they were discussing.
- Scientists have found that women`s voices are more difficult for men to listen to than men`s voices.
- Researchers at the University of Sheffield tracked activity in the brains of 12 men while playing recordings of different voices.
- There were startling differences in the way the brain responded to male and female sounds.
- Men deciphered female voices using the auditory part of the brain that processes music.
- Male voices engaged a simpler mechanism at the back of the brain.
The article went on to say: “Researcher Dr Michael Hunter said today: "The female voice is actually more complex than the male voice, due to differences in the size and shape of the vocal cords and larynx between men and women, and also due to women having greater natural `melody` in their voices. This causes a more complex range of sound frequencies than in a male voice.”
Though I thought this was very interesting, I can’t help but think they are just tuning us out. Much like we have the uncanny ability to tune out our kids. Click the Link to read the whole article; the comments that follow are hilarious.
Posted by Sheri & SuZan ::
8:50 AM ::
Post / Read Comments