Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 IN A BLINK OF AN EYE...

In a blink of an eye, life rolls change. About a week ago, my Grandfather had a stroke. I went up to East Texas this weekend to help my Aunt and Uncle in any way that I could, care for my Grandmother, as my Grandfather was her caregiver, and also to visit my Grandfather in the hospital. It was more difficult to see him in his current state than I thought.

He is where he needs to be right now in a rehab hospital. He will get better and stronger, but his life will be forever changed. He has always been so headstrong and independent and this is going to be his biggest challenge. It did hit me this weekend like a ton of bricks how life rolls change when I tucked my grandmother in bed and kissed her goodnight, just like she use to do for me; and when I helped my grandfather from the wheelchair to the bed and instructing him on how he needed to move and what to hold onto (all the time thinking…who the hell am I to be telling him what to do).

I guess because I moved so much growing up, east Texas has been sort of my anchor. The two male roll models I had growing up were my Grandfather and my Uncle. I couldn’t have asked for two better people in that position. While I looked up to my Grandfather (he was always larger than life to me), it was my Uncle that who unknowingly made me feel accepted and valuable as a person. They say that human nature is reluctant to change the status quo. I would say they are right, but we don’t always have a choice now do we.

Thank you all for your kind words from Sheri's post. This is a part of life, and we all have to face it. There is never a "good time" and it is very difficult to prepare for emotionally. We just need to be there for each other, mostly just to listen.

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 3:23 AM :: 6 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------