Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Thursday, November 02, 2006 Ahhh, November


I have to tell ya, I love Thanksgiving. I love the month of November. I love it as much as, if maybe not a little more than Christmas. When I look back, the most enjoyable family gatherings were on Thanksgiving. And then there is the food. I mean, who doesn't remember waking to the smell of turkey already cooking. Oh, and the pies. I think I just gained 5 lbs. thinking about it.

Unfortunately, I never got to enjoy a family Thanksgiving dinner as "an adult". I left home when I was 18 soon after graduating. I never got to "go home" for Thanksgiving as my mother died on November 4th. I was planning to come home. I had my plane ticket to come home. But, that didn't happen. Fortunately, my husband's family has taken me in and treated me as their own. It's amazing to see the similarities between his family, Texas born, Texas bread; and my family, Yankee born, Yankee, well, I'm not going to finish that sentence.

The best part of all though must be making those silly hand turkeys. I love them. Love, love, love them. I don't care if they are just traced and colored or more elaborate with glitter and googly eyes; I love them. To this day, my kids still make me one. To this day, I still hang them on my fridge until Christmas decor comes out.

Any favorite Thanksgiving memories for y'all?

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 8:46 AM :: 5 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------