Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Thursday, June 09, 2005 You Never Know When You’ll Touch a Life!

What started out being just another trip to the dastardly grocery store, turned out to be a memorable experience. Even though I work in the school system (2 years now), the majority of my experience has been working in Inpatient Rehab (orthopedic and neurological).

While at the checkout, the gentleman bagging my groceries (who was about my age) did not have the use of his right arm. While we were walking out, I asked him if he had had a stroke and he stated yes. He said that he had the stroke about a year and a half ago.

He told me about his family, we talked in length about the rehabilitation he had received, the different modalities available, precautionary measures he should take to protect his arm, and how the simplist things have changed. We probably talked for at least a half an hour.

Afterwards, he told me how much he appreciated our conversation, that it was wonderful to talk to someone who understood what he was going though and that I didn’t look at him with pity. When I tried to give him a tip for his help with my groceries, he refused the money and extended his hand out for a handshake. Eventhough he wouldn't take my tip, he doesn’t realize the tip he gave me!

If you are unfamiliar with strokes, please take the time to visit the links listed below. You never know how much the knowledge can help a life.

American Stroke Association

National Stroke Association

National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

SAFE Stroke Awareness for Everyone


Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 1:19 PM :: 1 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------