Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Sunday, September 04, 2005 The Difference Between Your 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s

What sparked this, is a conversation I had with our niece’s mother. Her birthday is coming up and she will be 30. Her mother was telling me that she is having a difficult time coping with this change in her life. I started thinking about each milestone in my own life. What she doesn’t yet understand is things really do get better.

The image that I remember most about my 20’s is the fact that I felt like I was constantly proving that I was an adult and that I should be taken seriously. I have always been mature for my age and even had a brain, but it seemed that it was difficult for “the older crowd” to acknowledge that I did have something important to say. I married in my mid to late 20’s and had my son in my late 20’s.

The 30’s came marching in. It seems that this was a break out decade. We went though very tough times in the beginning, but we positioned ourselves smartly and mid to late way though we were able to relax and enjoy it. It no longer felt that I had to prove anything to anyone else but myself, and because of age alone, rendered an instant percentage of credibility. I went back to school and discovered that finally I was doing what I should have been doing all along.

Oh and then came the 40’s. I smile thinking about it because a lot of times I feel like a kid again. My husband and I laugh at things now and are rediscovering twosomeness. I enjoy the relationship I have with my son and most of the time I feel he is going to be OK. I no longer wish that I could even be in contention of keeping up with the Jones’, and just relax and enjoy what we have. I like being home, taking the occasional nap, and entertaining. The best part has been occasionally stopping and smelling the proverbial flower.

With the way that each decade has improved I imagine that the 50’s will be FABOULOUS!

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 8:47 AM :: 5 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------