Celebrating Women...for the Real World
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 Thoughts on Motherhood

Maybe I should entitle this "If I Knew Then What I Know Now". Don't worry, this is not going to be a complaint about motherhood. I was stuck in traffic. Not that uncommon when you live in Houston. I saw a pregnant teenager. She must have been about 15. She was walking hand in hand with who I guess was the baby's father. They couldn't have been more happy about their situation. This made me wonder. Though they may be able to care for a baby and tend to that child's needs, how are they going to handle the struggles that come along as that child grows, matures, and has other needs?

I'm sure I'm not the only woman who, during the birthing process, declared that this child would be the only child and castration of the father was definitely a thought. Yeah, I din't think so. Three children later...... You see, I believe that God gave us the ability to forget the birthing experience and enjoy the miracle.

After the birthing experience, you have the colic, the sleepless nights, the terrible two's, three's, etc. You think while your experiencing this stage "will I ever make it through?" Now that I'm the parent of teenagers, I can assure you that, not only will you make it through, you will miss it! Yes, you heard me, you will miss it. You will laugh at those humdinger tantrums, the up all nights, the lack of "mommy time".

So now I wonder, in a few years, will I be looking back at the "teenager stage" and laughing at some of the struggles we're having? I think my biggest stress with having teenagers is knowing what I did when I was a teenager. If my kids even try half that stuff.....I just don't want to go there. It's very hard for a parent to let go and let their teenager make choices and decisions on their own when you know that there is a better choice or decision. I often wonder if, when my children are older and perhaps parents themselves, will they look back and have fond memories of their teenage years? Will I look back with fond memories forgetting the yucky part of teenager rearing just like I did with childbirth? I mean, there aren't too many days that go by that I don't hear what a mean, terrible, unfair parent I am. There aren't too many instances that I hear "I love you, mom", or "you're a great mom", or "you are right mom, I think I'll listen to your advice."

What is the point of this post? Maybe to encourage the new mother, or the mother of toddlers that yes, it will get better. Maybe I'm licking my own wounds. Like I said, it's been a while since my kids have looked at me and said "I love you mom. You're doing a great job!"

Posted by Sheri & SuZan :: 8:05 PM :: 4 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------